The Department of Trade and Industry’s Bureau of Philippine Standards (DTI-BPS) adopted the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 12625-4:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 4: Determination of tensile strength, stretch at maximum force and tensile energy absorption, as a Philippine National Standard (PNS).
Published by ISO in 2016, PNS ISO 12625-4:2019 was approved for adoption upon the recommendation of the DTI-BPS Technical Committee on Paper, Board and Pulps (BPS/TC 21). BPS/TC 21 is composed of representatives from the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry of the Philippines, Department of Science and Technology – Product Research and Development Institute, University of the Philippines Los Baños – College of Forestry and Natural Resources, Department of Budget and Management – Procurement Service, National Association of Consumers, Inc., Trust International Paper Corp., and Jedaric Chemicals Corp.
The PNS ISO 12625-4:2019 specifies the test method for the determination of the tensile strength, stretch at maximum force and tensile energy absorption of tissue paper and tissue products. A test piece of tissue paper or tissue product, of given dimensions, is stretched to break at a constant rate of elongation using a tensile-testing apparatus that measures and records the tensile force as a function of the elongation of the test piece. From the recorded data, the tensile strength, the corresponding stretch at maximum force and the tensile energy absorption can be calculated.
This standard will promote common understanding among stakeholders in the paper, board and pulps industry.
The DTI-BPS has also adopted and approved the other parts of ISO 12625:
- PNS ISO 12625-5:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 5: Determination of wet tensile strength
- PNS ISO 12625-6:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 6: Determination of grammage
- PNS ISO 12625-7:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 7: Determination of optical properties – Measurement of brightness and colour with D65/10 (outdoor daylight)
- PNS ISO 12625-8:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 8: Water-absorption time and water absorption capacity, basket immersion test method
- PNS ISO 12625-9:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 9: Determination of ball burst strength
- PNS ISO 12625-12:2019 Tissue paper and tissue products – Part 12: Determination of tensile strength of perforated lines – Calculation of perforation efficiency
The DTI-BPS is the National Standards Body of the Philippines. It is the country’s member to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).